Here’s an advanced link baiting strategy that really works. It’s not for the new blogger or the faint of heart, and in fact I haven’t tried this one yet myself. But there’s no doubt in my mind that this is a very powerful technique.
The strategy centers around faking your own death. For added buzz, you should also consider spinning the story so that you died while blogging in order to gain maximum A-List penetration (reminding them of their own mortality might be the last way available to get them to link outside of their personal echo chambers).
You’re likely thinking that this sounds like a solid strategy, all except for the being dead part. I hear you. While there’s always the rejuvenating option of adopting a persona who is carrying on with the blog after your unfortunate demise, let’s take a look at some “back from the dead” techniques that have worked for decades in sophisticated character dramas such as Days of Our Lives, One Life to Live, and The X-Men.
- It was really your evil twin who died
- You were cloned shortly after birth
- You were temporarily in the witness protection program, sorry for the inconvenience
- Abducted by aliens and replaced with a replica droid always seems to work
- You are now blogging in a dream sequence
- Actual resurrection from the dead (requires the right family connections)
Like I said, it takes some imagination and work, but the payoff can be huge. You should get an entire new round of links when you miraculously re-appear and everyone debates the subject from every conceivable angle on TechMeme.
What do you think? Any other ideas on how to pull this one off on this fine first day of April? 🙂