What is a landing page? The page you’re currently reading is a content landing page designed to organize many related pages around an overall theme.
A landing page is any page on a website where traffic is sent specifically to prompt a certain action or result. Think of a golf course… a landing page is the putting green that you drive the ball (prospect) to.
Once on the green, the goal is to get the ball into the hole. Likewise, the goal of the copy and design of a landing page is to get the prospect to take your desired action.
Here are a few examples of ways that landing pages are used with various traffic sources:
Traffic is sent from a pay per click (PPC) search marketing campaign (such as Google AdWords) to multiple landing pages optimized to correspond with the keywords the searcher used. Traffic is sent from a banner ad or sponsorship graphic to a landing page specifically designed to address that target audience. Traffic is sent from a link in an email to a landing page designed to prompt a purchase. Traffic is sent from a blog post or sidebar link to a landing page that pre-sells affiliate products or encourages an opt-in to a sub-list.
Our landing page guide will make you smarter
This free guide will help you start creating killer landing pages right away. Grab our free ebook, Landing Pages: How to Turn Traffic into Money, by entering your email below.
Landing page articles on Copyblogger
- The Beginner’s Guide to Creating Landing Page Copy that Sticks
- 9 Landing Page Goofs that Make You Lose Business [Infographic]
- The Savvy Marketer’s Checklist for Seductive Landing Pages
- The (Not-So-Secret) Secret to Turning Your Website Traffic into Paying Customers
- The 5 Stages of Writing Irresistible Landing Page Copy
- 5 Landing Page Mistakes that Crush Conversion Rates
- The ABCs of Landing Pages That Work [Infographic]
- The Secret to Landing Pages That Sell? Understand Your Unique Star