Critically acclaimed screenwriter and director John August stopped by The Writer Files to chat with host Kelton Reid about his writing process, the film business, and his hit podcast Scriptnotes.
Since his breakthrough film debut Go (1999), John has penned an impressive list of big budget Hollywood films from Charlie’s Angels (2000) to a handful of Tim Burton films, including Big Fish (2003) and Frankenweenie (2013).
The prolific author has also worked in TV, on Broadway, creates his own writing apps, and is a voting member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
He currently produces the invaluable Scriptnotes podcast with co-host Craig Mazin, where they discuss the ins-and-outs of the screenwriting business.
Join Kelton and John for this two-part interview.
In Part One of the file, host Kelton Reid and John August discuss:
- How a journalism major became a hollywood director
- Why screenwriting is truly a team sport
- What it’s like to rewrite a film like Iron Man
- How handwriting first drafts helps your process
- Why public writing sprints can boost your output
The Writer Files on iTunes