The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~ Mark Twain
That Twain guy was pretty smart. But he had to rely on the intuition that comes from years of writing to choose the right word, and even then it was still a guess. Poor guy.
Nowadays, we’ve got technology that allows us to easily know what the right word, phrase, or headline is, at least when it comes to getting people to take the action you want. But all the tech in the world won’t help you if you don’t know what to test, or test incorrectly.
To make sure that doesn’t happen to you, I invited Joanna Wiebe of Copyhackers to
give us free consulting share her wisdom at the intersection of creative copy and no-nonsense testing.
In this 35-minute episode Joanna and I discuss:
- Her approach to email opt-in button copy
- What every real copywriter should focus on
- The starting point for building any “new” audience
- Why what you want to write doesn’t matter
- The number of conversions you need to make a good call
- The type of language you should split-test
- How to know what site areas to test in the first place
- The recurring theme of conversion testing that works