Michael Hyatt is the former Chairman and CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers, the seventh largest trade book publishing company in the U.S. In fact, Hyatt has been involved in the traditional publishing business his entire working life.
Not the typical profile of a do-it-yourself blogger, right?
And yet, in 2012 when Thomas Nelson was acquired by HarperCollins and Michael left his executive role, it was his 8-year-old blog that opened the door to an exciting and vibrant new chapter of his life. A blog that he toiled over in frustrating obscurity for many of those foundational years.
It was the blog that provided the launch pad for his New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling book Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World. And it was the book that opened the door to his membership program Platform University. Seems like we can learn a few things from this guy about building our own online marketing and sales platforms.
In this 31-minute episode Michael Hyatt and I discuss:
- His path from traditional publishing to independent media
- The rough start as a blogger, and what skyrocketed his traffic
- The dirty little secret of productivity
- His realization about the power of online publishing
- What you need in addition to world-class content
- The critical importance of owning your digital platform
- The compelling nature of audio vs. text content
- The interesting way he produces his very popular podcast
- Almost every author’s epic missed revenue opportunity
Or, grab it in iTunes.